Website powered by

KDA - AR Characters

I worked on the KDA AR graphics used for the League Of Legends 2019 World Championship opening ceremony!
This project was an absolute blast to work on, and I was incredibly happy about getting a chance to work with an IP that I have invested so many hours on in the past.

My workload mainly consisted of modelling/texturing, as well as in-engine shader work and lookdev.
I was also onsite for finishing touches, lighting, and helping with setting up for the live event.

I created the basemesh used for all four characters, and did a large part of all character modelling - in particular for Ahri, where I did everything save from the final version of her tails, and the charm heart effect. I also had a lot of help from Mattias Edstrom with her skin texture.

I did not work facial blend shapes, skinning/rigging, nor animation.

Here‘s to hoping I get to model Cho'Gath next time around.

Characters © Riot Games

Final characters, posed in Pixotope (Unreal)

Final characters, posed in Pixotope (Unreal)

POP/STARS - Worlds 2019 Opening Ceremony

Early Ahri face pass. This was using the original subdiv geometry, which was later replaced by the V2 basemesh.

Early Ahri face pass. This was using the original subdiv geometry, which was later replaced by the V2 basemesh.

First Ahri clothing pass, blocking out accessories, ensuring nothing was missing.

First Ahri clothing pass, blocking out accessories, ensuring nothing was missing.

First lineup. Due to time constraints we ended up iterating our way to the finish line. The biggest hurdle was figuring out how much to stylize, and keeping the designs in line.

First lineup. Due to time constraints we ended up iterating our way to the finish line. The biggest hurdle was figuring out how much to stylize, and keeping the designs in line.

Sculpting cloth and leather details

Sculpting cloth and leather details

Stitching detail

Stitching detail

Skin detail. This ended up being a bit of a waste, as we never really got anywhere near the character's faces during the broadcast.

Skin detail. This ended up being a bit of a waste, as we never really got anywhere near the character's faces during the broadcast.

Getting the characters into Unreal as soon as possible helped making a few earlier missteps very apparent.

Getting the characters into Unreal as soon as possible helped making a few earlier missteps very apparent.

Refining facial features...

Refining facial features...

... and blocking out hair. Ahri‘s hair took me a few iterations to get right.

... and blocking out hair. Ahri‘s hair took me a few iterations to get right.

The sheer amount of volume I ended up having to add, surprised me.

The sheer amount of volume I ended up having to add, surprised me.

The ears were a blast to make! I sculpted a base, painted a fur density mask, and used it to scatter shaped fur cards in Blender, to great effect.

The ears were a blast to make! I sculpted a base, painted a fur density mask, and used it to scatter shaped fur cards in Blender, to great effect.

Shaping the eyes and implementing further minor adjustments.

Shaping the eyes and implementing further minor adjustments.